Run time 28:35Producer pcmagAudio/Visual sound, colorLanguage English
Loyd Case is Back to Answer Your Questions and Much More!
What's new in Episode 243
• The new full episode FLV file has been rendered and posted. Enjoy!
• ExtremeTech's Loyd Case joins Robert on set.
• Loyd talks a bit about his first month with solar panels. You can read the article he wrote by clicking HERE
• Today's Tech Pic of the Week is from Loyd and Robert. They recently went to the Dolby Studios here in the SF Bay Area. To see all the pics from the tour, click HERE for the full article on Gearlog.com.
• Loyd recently built an Atom PC System. Click HERE for the full article on how Loyd built the Atom PC and what the specs of the machine are.
• And now for a host of questions for Loyd:
Question 1 is from Umar of Al-Khobat, Saudi Arabia:
I was about to build a system with two nVidia 8800GT 512MB cards in SLI mode, but recently nVidia has released the GTX 260 and GTX 280. Now that has me thinking what will be a better value for money two 8800GTs or one GTX 260. What is your take on this?
Question 2 is from Justin of Ohio:
Hey, I've got a Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 2.7GHz. With the summer heat, I notice that my CPU temps are rising and I am wondering what the processor can safely handle? It has stock cooling and is running about 45-55C on idle and about 55-65 on load. What are the limits, can I safely overclock more?
Check these articles: 3DMark Vantage Review, Supreme Commander Benchmarks and Joel's article, Benchmark Your System the ExtremeTech Way.
Also mentioned were the Arctic Cooling's Freezer 7 Pro and the Scythe Ninja Mini.
Question 3 is from Jamie of Dyersburg, TN:
I bought a Compaq Presario SR1917 MCPC running an AMD 3500 64 bit CPU. 2.5 gigs of RAM, 200G HDD with 256 integraded Nvidia 6150 graphics with Vista premium OS. My problem is when I run a performance check it says I only have 64MB of video graphics can you explain why this is and what I can do to resolve this problem?
Question 4 is from Richard:
I have a two year old Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop that I would like to know the microprocessor upgrade possibility & feasibility options?
Question 5 is from Eric of Everson, WA:
I recently built a new computer and I'm having an issue with the RAM. I bought four 1GB sticks of Kingston RAM, my problem is that when I try and install more than 1 stick of RAM the computer won't boot up. (I have XP Pro 64 bit) I've tested all four sticks of RAM and they all work on their own.
Question 6 is from Erik:
What would you recommend as far as a PC to play Mass Effect? I'd like it to be as close to the X-Box 360 version.
Question 7 is from Wayne in Texas:
I have read you should have DDR2 in pairs for best speed. But the new DDR2 and DDR3 chips come in 2 and 4 gig on one stick Does that affect the speed of memory? And they state the 1066 speed chip will have a 555 15 rated at 2.1 VDC, but yet the motherboards put out 1.8 - I'm wondering what will be the speed I run the board at 1.8 VDC and will they be at 555 15?
Question 8 is from Justin of Ohio(Is it the same Justin as Q2?):
Here's what I need:
- Surround output to my speakers (either analog or digital)
- Output to my headphone amp (At the SAME TIME as speakers)
- Line-in that can record and monitor over the headphones and speakers at the same time.
Are there any sound cards for under $200 that will do this for me?
Take a look at this Creative's X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty for your audio needs.
• we have a new giveaway. Enter to receive a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card. YOU HAVE until Tuesday August 5th at 11:59pm Eastern time to submit your entry. The drawing will be August 7th. This is your last week to enter! The rules are simple:
• Send us an email to email@example.com.
• In the email please include your Name, Address and Phone Number. Put "DL.TV Sapphire Giveaway" in the subject line.
• You MUST be a resident of the U.S.A. and at least 18 years of age. For the full legalese download the rules.
• You MUST be a member of our Folding@Home Team. 57391.
• And REMEMBER to add you unique F@H username and have folded a work unit and be on our active Folding list.
• To be on our active list you must have folded 1 work unit within 7 days of the close of entry receipts, August 5th.
• If you are not yet a member of our Folding@Home team (57391), go to the Stanford website and download a folding client and get started.
• Next Week: Remember, Inventer Dave Matthews will be on the show to show off one of his new inventions.
• Got a Question? A tip? A product you're curious about Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org